Chapter 7 – Discussion – Christmas Scene

“I’m trying to settle how I shall pay Hindley back. I don’t care how long I wait, if I can only do it at last. I hope he will not die before I do!”
Heathcliff

Chapter 7 (Vol 1) is a key scene in the text. It is one of four scenes we will look at in detail. Answer the following questions as comprehensively as you can using textual evidence.

What is signficant about this chapter?
Why is it a turning point?
How does Bronte set up subsequent action in this scene?
What insight does this chapter provide into the motivation of Heathcliff, Catherine and Hindley?
How does Bronte communicate these events effectively? Think about language, the style of narration, structure etc.
Why does Nelly break her narration at the end of this chapter? This is purposeful on Bronte’s part. Why do you think she does this? What effect does is have on the reader/responder?

2 thoughts on “Chapter 7 – Discussion – Christmas Scene

1. 1) This chapter is significant for a number of reasons. Firstly, this is the chapter in which Catherine returns from Thrushcross grange to Wuthering heights, and she appears to have cast away her old life of playing with Heathcliff, and is now a cultured young lady- “A very dignified person…”
    Perhaps more importantly, it is this chapter that Heathcliff vows to take his revenge on Hindley- ” I’m trying to settle how I shall pay Hindley back. I don’t care how long I wait, if I can only do it at last. I hope he will not die before I do!”.
    It is in this chapter that we can clearly see how badly Heathcliff has been treated as he is treated as nothing but a servant. Hindley even forbids him to eat christmas dinner as The Lintons do not want to eat with “That nasty, swearing boy”

I’ll post the rest later

2. 2) This chapter can be called a turning point because this is where Heathcliff vows his revenge on Hindley. At this point, he goes from almost being a defenceless victim of Hindley’s jelousy to becoming very much a protagonist. From his words- ”I’m trying to settle how I shall pay Hindley back. I don’t care how long I wait, if I can only do it at last. I hope he will not die before I do!”, we can see that he is determined to take his future into his own hands and the reader knows that from now, the novel will centre around Heathcliff.