Discuss the The Role of Social Class in Wuthering Heights using quotations from the text as evidence.
- Describe the social class of the Earnshaws, the Lintons, and Heathcliff. Which are of a higher social class? Why is this significant?
- How does social class motivate Catherine’s actions? How does she try to change her class?
- How does Heathcliff’s social class influence the way he is treated and his own actions? How does Heathcliff’s class change?
- What is the role of class in the novel? How do tensions in the book result from class struggles?
- What role do the servants Nelly, Joseph, and Zillah play in the novel?